Luskintyre, New South Wales is a small rural area in the Hunter Region of New South Wales. It is off the New England Highway near Lochinvar. The area stretches out between Lochinvar and Lambs Valley. With a beautiful rural aspect and a country community feel it would not take long to feel at home. It is the location of Maitland's one and only vineyard, Tranquil Vale as well as the significant high level Luskintyre Bridge built in 1903 over the Hunter River to replace the existing low level bridge nearby. The structure is one of the only surviving examples of a Pratt truss bridge in NSW & was used in the filming of the popular movie “Tomorrow when the war began.”
The 2010 film was about a group of young friends living in the mythical town of Wirrawee who go on a camping trip, only to return to find that the whole area has been attacked & overrun by foreign invaders. They become freedom fighters to try to regain their country. The film was shot originally in Dungog, then Raymond Terrace, Maitland, Blue Mountains, Fox Studios in Sydney & the Luskintyre bridge which was blown up to stop the supplies to the invaders.
Well it wasn’t really blown up but rather a scaled down model in Terry Hills, being used. Ah! the skills of the special effects department & model makers.
An interesting video about replacing a wooden girder as part of the maintenance program for this bridge can be seen at
Luskintyre Airfield is just down the road from the bridge & is a privately owned airstrip on 92.2 ha & is home to the Luskintyre Aviation Flying Museum & Luskintyre Aircraft Restorations which specialises in restoring vintage aircraft using old fashioned craftsmanship but incorporating modern methods & materials.
It was established in 1977 with the aim of preserving & operating vintage aircraft with the emphasis is on restoring De-Havilland DH-82A Tiger Moths.
There are no commercial flying/joyflight operations conducted at the field.
“Lunch with the Tiger Moths” is a regular event held on the first Saturday of each month (weather & Covid restrictions permitting). The event allows visitors to inspect airworthy and under-restoration Tiger Moths and view the museum's collection of memorabilia. Anyone intending to go should contact the airfield prior.
In 2014 45 World War 11 era planes flew from Luskintyre Airfield on October 4,south along the coast to Sydney Harbour then Parramatta & onto Camden Airfield then back on the next day to Luskintyre via Prospect, Patonga and Swansea in a charity event.
All money raised went to supporting Lift Youth Development and Soldier On.
Bill Balson an 83 year old Salamander Bay pilot was one of the oldest people to fly, this being his first time in the event.
He had been a pilot for Qantas for 34 years for whom he flew amongst other planes, the original Airbuses which were designed for long-haul international trips.
After retirement from the national carrier he spent his free time at the airfield, restoring Tiger Moths and flying his Cessna.
The de Havilland Tiger Moth was a plane used to train pilots between the 1930s and 1950s.
More information about the airfield can be found at
Lochinvar is just a few kilometres from Luskintyre with a great café called “True Café & Chocolate” & just a stones throw from Maitland. It is quant little village with a popular hotel/motel & an incredible rural clothing outfitters, Aird’s of Lochinvar. There are some beautiful old buildings nearby with Lockinvar House built in early 1820s & now a BnB, Dalwood House a heritage-listed homestead and now a house museum. It was built from 1829 to 1838 by George Wyndham & sits in the grounds of the former Wyndham Estate winery.
Grossmann House is a heritage-listed former residence and Maitland Girls' High School premises & now house museum in Maitland. It was built from 1860 to 1862 by Isaac Beckett and Samuel Owen.
The Catholic nuns convent was built in 1883 & is a spectacular building.
A for sale sign by Jurd’s Real Estate caught our eye so decided to checkout Clifton House Constructed by Samuel Clift about 1853. The beautiful 2 storey house is steeped in history and surrounded by park-like grounds on 7 acres. Complete with the convict built separate sandstone block servant's quarters & a one bedroom gardeners cottage. The residence was surrounded on 3 sides by incredible views at one stage but is now boxed in with the rail line almost at the side & a large wall to filter the noise from the coal trains. Mr Clift would probably turn over in his grave if he saw the so called “progress.”
Finally we visited the old Police station that apparently hadn’t been manned for a number of years due to cost cutting. The moss covered sign out the front seemed like a good indication the building had been vacant for a while. On a subsequent visit a week later the sign had been removed.